Established in 1974, Hatfield Consultants (Hatfield) is a Canadian company providing services in social and environmental science, geomatics and remote sensing, data management and information systems.
Social performance is an increasingly important dimension of delivering sustainable projects across all sectors and jurisdictions. To help meet this demand we are looking to grow our Human Environment Group. We have interests and experience in a wide range of social science and related research and projects including: social, health and economic impact assessment; community and Indigenous engagement; household surveys and livelihood studies; capacity development; social determinants of health; and gender studies.
The Senior or Intermediate Social Science Specialist will be part of Hatfield’s Human Environment Group and be based in one of our Metro Vancouver offices. The successful candidate will have strong technical skills in the social sciences and/or related disciplines. We seek an experienced individual with excellent written and interpersonal communication skills and sound ability to communicate and liaise effectively with existing and prospective clients, regulators, and Indigenous Groups.
A graduate degree or equivalent experience in social science or related disciplines is expected although equivalent combinations of education and experience will also be considered. The role is responsible for technical leadership, support, and delivery of a variety of projects both within Canada and in collaboration with our international offices.
We are particularly interested in candidates with a background or experience in any one or a combination of the following: social and economic impact assessment; Indigenous and/or public engagement and consultation; social determinants of health; social statistics, economics or econometrics; monitoring and evaluation (M&E); and social performance monitoring and resettlement; land-use or community planning or similar.
- Work independently and with teams of social and environmental specialists and technicians on a variety of projects, across multiple sectors and with a broad range of clients;
- Deliver high quality research and reports;
- Contribute to the planning, organization, and delivery of stakeholder and Indigenous engagement or consultation activities;
- Research design, implementation and analysis;
- Preparation of proposals; and
- Networking and business development.
Skills and Capabilities:
- Technical ability in the preparation and delivery of social science research including research design, data collection, compilation and analysis;
- Excellence in technical report writing and other forms of written communication (e.g. training materials or community outreach);
- Excellent oral communication skills (e.g. networking, facilitation, and community engagement skills);
- Inquisitive and entrepreneurial;
- Open to periodic travel, including internationally, and to work in remote locations and communities as required.
Education and Experience:
- Master’s degree or equivalent experience in social science or related field;
- 5+ years’ work experience;
- Background or experience in one or more social science or interdisciplinary fields (e.g., sociology, economics, public health, gender studies, anthropology, geography, international studies, natural resource management, land use planning or similar);
- Experience working with or within government agencies, indigenous peoples and/or governments, international development organizations, or other third party or non-government organizations;
- Experience operating in a dynamic consulting environment that requires flexibility and teamwork.
Hatfield is an equal opportunity employer. Indigenous candidates and women especially, are strongly encouraged to apply, as are individuals from diverse ethnic or cultural backgrounds.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and CV describing your experience and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org (no phone calls please). Please indicate “Social Specialist” in your subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.