Hatfield is an innovative, purpose-driven company delivering environmental and social sciences solutions to our clients in North America and around the world.
The Geomatics Technician joins a group of geospatial specialists providing services to support Hatfield projects and teams including GIS data capture and management, geo-processing and spatial analysis, mapping, and working with CAD drawings. This also includes mobile data collection support and management, and WebGIS map creation and maintenance. The Geomatics technician will report to the Geomatics Manager.
This position may initially work remotely due to the COVID-19 mitigation measures, but in the future the position will be expected to regularly attend one of our Canadian offices (North Vancouver, New Westminster, Calgary).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Communicate and work with Hatfield subject matter experts regarding map and spatial data analysis requirements.
- Produce high quality cartographic map products and CAD drawings using ArcGIS.
- Research, compile, enter, and edit spatial data and associated non-spatial attribute information to support project requirements.
- Develop and maintain geodatabases and perform various data management duties such as data storage and cleanup.
- Support mobile data collection (e.g., Survey123, ArcGIS Field Maps) for Hatfield field programs.
- Integrate various vector and raster data sets, including satellite and aerial imagery, from multiple sources for inclusion in maps.
- Comply with Hatfield’s Health and Safety Management Plan, the law, and client health and safety protocols.
- Other related duties as needed.
- Possess sound knowledge of GIS principles.
- Possess excellent working knowledge of Esri ArcGIS software suite, including ArcGIS Pro and various ArcGIS extensions (3D Analyst, and Spatial Analyst).
- Knowledge of GIS data standards, projections, and coordinate systems.
- Knowledge of spatial data management, including ESRI geo-databases and RDBMS.
- Knowledge of federal, provincial and global GIS datasets and repositories.
- Experience using Python to manipulate geospatial data and complete geospatial analysis.
- Experience with AutoDesk AutoCAD and creating and editing drawings would be considered an asset.
- Self-starter, well organized, analytical, flexible, and detail-oriented, with the ability to manage multiple priorities and meet tight deadlines
- Ability to communicate effectively in written and spoken English.
- Proficient in general computer skills (MS Office suite, etc.).
Education and Experience:
- Post-secondary diploma or bachelor degree in GIS, Remote Sensing, Geomatics or a related field, or equivalent (experience in a consulting environment would be considered an asset).
- A minimum of 1 year of relevant professional experience in the geospatial domain, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and CV describing your experience and salary expectations in confidence through the online form or email: firstname.lastname@example.org (no phone calls please). Please indicate “Geomatics Technician – Vancouver” in your subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.