Hatfield is seeking a Geospatial Developer Co-Op to become part of our Remote Sensing Data Analytics Team in our North Vancouver office for an eight-month term in 2022. The Co-Op will support in the development of geospatial/remote sensing analysis pipelines and algorithms using Python and deployed on our cloud native big data geoscience platform (GEO Analytics Canada – www.geoanalytics.ca). Other geospatial development tasks may be completed as assigned.
At Hatfield, we work on problems like assessing the impact of habitat fragmentation on endangered woodland caribou, monitoring environmental determinants of health related to the spread of West Nile Virus and Lyme Disease, and modelling the species distribution of endangered North Atlantic Right Whales. We welcome applications from like-minded individuals who seek to apply technologies to address a wide range of environmental and social issues.
Location: North Vancouver, BC
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work as part of a multidisciplinary team to support development of custom, scalable work-flows for remotely sensed time-series data, including calibration, pre-processing, analyzing and data integration.
- Participate in manipulating geospatial datasets to extract information using methods such as change detection, trend analysis, segmentation, and image classification using machine learning (e.g., shallow and deep learning) algorithms.
- Implement validation procedures for classification systems and workflows.
- Support the creation of case study tutorials and documentation to promote functionalities and features of GEO Analytics Canada.
- Support on-going data management and reporting functions.
- Ongoing B.Sc., M.Sc., or post-graduate qualification in GIS, Remote Sensing, Engineering and/or Computer Science (or equivalent experience).
- Demonstrated experience programming in Python for image processing and analysis (e.g. rasterio, geopandas, seaborn/matplotlib).
- Ability to work in a team of technical specialists with varying levels of experience and maintain a positive attitude.
- Ability to work in an environment that requires flexibility and multi-tasking.
- Ability to work with tight deadlines while retaining flexibility and a sense for priorities.
- Strong technical writing and communication skills.
Additional Skills and Experience Considered a Strong Asset:
- Basic understanding of remote sensing principles, satellite data, and tools.
- Knowledge and experience developing for Linux systems and Docker.
- Basic experience working with Google Earth Engine.
- Knowledge and experience in advanced Python libraries for geospatial data processing (e.g. Dask, Xarray, Futures).
- · Experience applying machine learning algorithms.
Reply in confidence with a cover letter and resume describing your experience through the online form or email at email@example.com (no phone calls please). Please include “Geospatial Developer – Co-Op” in your email subject line. Salary expectations are also appreciated and may be included in your cover letter. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.