Fort McMurray, AB
With close to 50 years of environmental consulting experience, Hatfield's work culture focuses on scientific excellence, professional development, a fun and inclusive environment, and providing flexible work arrangements including hybrid work options and a biweekly earned days off program. In addition, we have a flat organizational structure, a friendly, accessible, and down-to-earth management team that truly cares about employee career progression.
Hatfield Consultants is seeking an Environmental Technician to become part of our dynamic IEM (Infrastructure and Environmental Management) team in Fort McMurray, Alberta. The ideal candidate will provide technical support and assistance to programs that include monitoring and assessment of aquatic and construction projects. Duties will consist of serving as a field technician for environmental auditing; projects requiring environmental monitoring of construction projects; water quality monitoring; wildlife monitoring and habitat assessments; implementation of environmental management plans (EMPs) and environmental protection plans (EPPs), including all required reporting, and quality management; entering and analyzing data; assisting with writing of reports; and other environmental projects as assigned. Hatfield provides competitive reimbursement for overtime hours. Assigned projects will involve shift work and will be based out of Hatfield’s Fort McMurray office; this is not a fly-in/fly-out position.
- Participate in environmental auditing and review for construction projects.
- Work as part of a multidisciplinary team to collect data for a variety of environmental and infrastructure monitoring and assessment programs (e.g., construction monitoring, water quality, wildlife).
- Participate in field surveys in support of ongoing project objectives and monitoring requirements.
- Conduct monitoring to ensure compliance of project activities with all relevant site-specific, provincial, and federal environmental legislative and regulatory requirements.
- Ensure equipment is maintained and calibrated to meet operational and field requirements.
- Support on-going data management and reporting functions.
- Ensure compliance with Hatfield’s Health and Safety Management Plan, the law, and client health and safety protocols, as well as compliance with Hatfield’s Quality Management Plan and external requirements and regulations.
Education and Experience:
- Must have or be working towards a technical diploma, B.Sc., or higher degree in environmental sciences. Some prior formal training (e.g., coursework) is considered an asset.
- Appropriate qualifications for work in Alberta and a valid Canadian driver’s license.
- 1 year of related work experience is desirable.
- Experience operating in a dynamic consulting environment is an asset.
- Experience working with a range of environmental disciplines (wetlands, vegetation, fish and fish habitat) is an asset.
- Familiarity conducting environmental monitoring programs and an understanding of environmental management plans is an asset.
- Ability to work independently or in teams of technicians with varying levels of experience and maintain a positive attitude.
- Ability and interest to undertake extensive fieldwork, in a range of weather conditions, including working in remote locations and on programs that may require camp stays.
- Ability to work in a dynamic consulting environment that requires flexibility and the wiliness to work overtime in support of field programs.
- Attention to detail and an understanding of the importance of adherence to field standard operating procedures and good data collection.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) including an ability to communicate professionally with clients.
- Research and analytical skills (data collection, compilation and analysis).
- Understanding of environmental legislation, regulations, and guidance documents related to infrastructure projects would be an asset.
Hatfield is committed to employment equity and workplace diversity. We strive for equity, inclusiveness and diversity, irrespective of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, or disability.
To apply, please submit your cover letter and CV describing your experience and salary expectations in confidence through the online form or email: firstname.lastname@example.org (no phone calls please). Please indicate Environmental Technician – IEM in your subject line. Due to the volume of applicants, only short-listed candidates will be notified but we will retain your resume for any future openings.