Hatfield is an innovative, purpose-driven company that designs and develops remote sensing environmental monitoring and assessment solutions. Building on decades of scientific experience with optical and radar data, we apply cutting-edge approaches to acquire, manage, and analyze data to deliver strategic information to our clients in North America and around the world. The Geospatial Developer joins a team of remote sensing and information system specialists to provide technical expertise for the design, implementation, and validation of algorithms and systems related to the analysis and integration of remote sensing and other geospatial datasets.
This position may initially work remotely due to the COVID-19 mitigation measures, but in the future the position will be expected to regularly attend one of our Canadian offices (North Vancouver, New Westminster, Calgary, Terrace, Fort St. John, or Fort McMurray).
Travel may be required to support projects throughout Canada and internationally. The Geospatial Developer reports to the Geomatics Manager and Geomatics Director.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop custom, scalable workflows for: processing satellite data (optical, radar and lidar), including ortho-rectification, calibration, and compositing; processing and integrating remote sensing data with other data sources; and extracting information including change detection, segmentation, and image classification using machine learning (e.g. machine learning and deep learning) algorithms.
- Plan and implement validation of processing and classification systems and workflows.
- Provide validation and quality reviews of algorithms and systems related to remote sensing data management and analytics
- Support identifying and developing new business opportunities in Canada and internationally.
- Support writing of technical proposals and reports, including collaborating with partner organizations when required.
- Other related duties as needed.
Additional Skills and Experience Considered a Strong Asset:
- Knowledge of big data, cloud computing systems (e.g. Kubernetes, Serverless)
- Knowledge of advanced Python libraries for big geospatial data processing (e.g. Dask, Xarray, Futures).
- Knowledge of Deep Learning and Machine Learning technologies and techniques (e.g. scikit-learn and Keras frameworks).
- Ability to work with tight deadlines while retaining flexibility and a sense for priorities.
Education and Experience:
- M.Sc. or post-graduate qualification in GIS, remote sensing applications, and/or computer science (or equivalent experience).
- A minimum of 3 years relevant professional experience in the geospatial domain.
- Fundamental understanding of remote sensing principles, tools and services covering the whole data acquisitions/analysis chain.
- Demonstrated experience with a wide variety of remote sensing data sets (e.g. LiDAR, Sentinel-2, Landsat, and SAR).
- Ability to communicate regularly, professionally, and clearly at general, technical and management levels to inform team members, science teams and the science user community.
- Expert-level knowledge of Python for image processing and analysis (e.g. gdal, rasterio, geopandas, numpy, seaborn/matplotlib).
- Experience and demonstrated experience using Linux systems and Docker.
- Knowledge of GIS and spatial analysis techniques.
- Ability to write clear and concise reports and to communicate effectively in written and spoken English.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and CV describing your experience and salary expectations in confidence through the online form or email: firstname.lastname@example.org (no phone calls please). Please indicate “Geospatial Developer” in your subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.