Hatfield Consultants is seeking an Intermediate to Senior Hydrogeologist to become part of our growing team and provide field and technical support for the design and implementation of hydrology, hydrogeology, and water resource management components of Hatfield’s energy, oil and gas, mining, and infrastructure projects in Alberta.
This position is full time permanent and would be a combination of office and fieldwork, based out of our Calgary office. Start date is negotiable.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support and/or lead the development of proposals and business development efforts.
- Design, participate in and/or manage hydrogeologic investigation and monitoring programs.
- Schedule and track project progress, budgets and the completion of deliverables.
- Compile, manage and interpret hydrogeologic, water use, water quality, and other environmental data.
- Draft reports for submission to regulatory agencies or clients.
- Work on multidisciplinary teams and projects, and support Hatfield’s aquatics specialists, hydrologists and other environmental specialists.
- Mentor junior staff.
- Experience supervising/undertaking drilling programs, well installation, hydrogeologic testing (e.g., slug, packer, pump tests) and groundwater sampling, at remote mine site locations.
- Experience and interest in field work. Field work in remote locations is required.
- Fluent verbal communication and ability to write concise technical reports.
- Legally able to work in Alberta and British Columbia and a valid Canadian driver’s license.
Prior experience with the following is considered an asset for this position:
- Contaminant transport, vadose zone hydrogeology and/or groundwater / water quality modelling.
- Surface water and sediment sampling.
- Hydrometric / climate station installation, data logger programming, surveying and streamflow measurement.
- Data handling and analysis. Background in R statistics, coding, GIS, and/or hydraulic/hydrogeologic modelling would be highly desirable.
- Experience in data compilation and analysis, including use of software tools such as Aquarius, EQuIS or similar software for loading, editing, reporting and visualization of sample data.
Required Education and Experience:
- B.Sc. or M.Sc. (preferred) in natural/environmental sciences or engineering with a combination of academic training (e.g., thesis, coursework) in hydrogeology.
- A minimum of three years of experience undertaking hydrogeology studies.
- Eligible for, or have current, registration with APEGA.
All candidates who meet minimum requirements are encouraged to reply in confidence with salary expectations to: email@example.com (no phone calls please). Please include “Calgary Hydrogeologist” in your email subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.