General Description: Hatfield has a tremendous opportunity for an Environmental Specialist/ Biologist in our Terrace office. A key focus for this position will be to assist with the design, management, permitting and implementation of infrastructure projects in northern BC, and to help maintain our client relationships and build new ones. In a typical day, this position will provide management oversight to infrastructure projects; design inputs to engineering teams; and assistance with environmental permitting and licensing. The successful candidate will be expected to collaborate with technical groups and specialists across the company. Other typical tasks will include preparing and implementing environmental management plans (EMPs), related work plans, and monitoring programs; reporting; leading and/or overseeing field programs; and ensuring compliance of project activities with all relevant local, provincial, and federal environmental regulations.
Location: Terrace, BC
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage and supervise the environmental management and monitoring components of infrastructure projects.
- Provide project management and report preparation for projects in northwest BC.
- Provide environmental design inputs to the infrastructure development teams and verify compliance with regulatory and project-specific environmental requirements.
- Play a lead role in acquiring environmental permits, licenses, and approvals from regulatory agencies in support of infrastructure projects.
- Prepare and oversee the implementation of a range of environmental compliance documents required for project approval and implementation, such as EMPs, environmental protection plans, and environmental work plans.
- Work with project development teams – including proponents, regulators, designers, QEPs, engineers, and construction personnel – to address environmental management and protection measures during project planning and implementation.
- Complete field work for instream monitoring projects as part of a construction monitoring team, with potential to complete fish capture and release as a crew member.
- Help in the preparation of proposals and assist with other business development activities such as promoting Hatfield’s services at conferences and industry events, maintaining client relations, and identifying and helping to retain new work opportunities and clients.
- Excellent problem-solving skills to ensure environmental compliance through creative solutions within an active construction work environment.
- Adept working successfully with heavy civil design and construction teams.
- Excellent technical writing skills.
- Proficient with obtaining permits, licenses, and approvals from local, provincial, and federal authorities in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of pertinent environmental legislation, regulations, and guidance documents.
- Ability to interpret and provide environmental inputs to engineering drawings.
- Excellent people skills and communication (verbal and technical writing) and ability to take initiative.
- Comfortable issuing stop-work orders and independently implementing controls necessary to protect the environment during non-compliance events.
Education and Experience:
Education and Experience:
- A relevant undergraduate degree and appropriate professional certification to perform work in BC (e.g., RPBio (or eligibility), PAg. (or eligibility), etc.
- At least three to years of experience conducting environmental aspects of infrastructure development projects.
- CPESC certification or equivalent is an asset.
- Experience working in large, multi-disciplinary teams.
- Experience managing a range of environmental disciplines (air quality, noise, surface and groundwater quality, soils, vegetation, fish and fish habitat, contaminated sites, archaeology, First Nations, etc.) is an asset.
- Experience conducting instream construction monitoring; including turbidity monitoring with sondes, conducting fish capture and release programs, and being an onsite QEP providing environmental guidance to clients.
- Experience operating in a dynamic consulting environment that requires flexibility and teamwork.
- Ability/interest to work in the field.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and CV describing your experience and salary expectations to email@example.com (no phone calls please). Please indicate “Senior Environmental Specialist – Terrace” in your subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.