Hatfield Consultants is seeking an Environmental Technician to become part of our dynamic Infrastructure and Environmental Management team in Fort McMurray, Alberta. The ideal candidate will provide technical support and assistance to programs that include monitoring and assessment of construction projects. Duties will consist of serving as a field technician for studies that may include, environmental monitoring of construction projects, water quality monitoring, fisheries and aquatic assessments, wildlife monitoring and habitat assessments; implementation of environmental management plans (EMPs) for infrastructure projects, including all required monitoring, reporting, and quality management; entering and analyzing data; assisting with the writing of reports; and other environmental projects as assigned. While most project work will be Fort McMurray based, the environmental coordinator can expect occasional long hours of field work at remote locations throughout northern Alberta. Hatfield provides competitive reimbursement for overtime hours. The initial project assignment will be on a mine site north of Fort McMurray and may involve shift work during various times of the year. The position will be based out of Hatfield’s Fort McMurray office. This is not a fly-in/fly-out position.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in field surveys as required in support of ongoing project objectives and monitoring requirements.
- Work with field crew leaders and project managers to ensure environmental compliance of project activities with all relevant provincial and federal environmental legislative and regulatory requirements.
- Enter data and assist in analysis and preparation of reports on researched results.
- Compliance with Hatfield’s Health and Safety Management Plan, the law, and client health and safety protocols.
- Compliance with Hatfield’s Quality Management Plan and external requirements and regulations.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and/or Experience:
- Ability to work in teams of technicians with varying levels of experience and maintain a positive attitude.
- Ability and interest to undertake extensive fieldwork, in a range of weather conditions, including working in remote locations and on programs that may require camp stays.
- Ability to work in a dynamic consulting environment that requires flexibility and the wiliness to work overtime in support of field programs.
- Research and analytical skills (data collection, compilation and analysis).
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written – technical or scientific writing) including an ability to communicate professionally with clients.
Reply in confidence with your cover letter, CV and salary expectations to email@example.com (no phone calls please). Please mark “Environmental Technician – Fort McMurray” in your email subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.
- Must have or be working towards an environmental diploma, B.Sc., or higher degree in environmental sciences.
- 1 year of related work experience is desirable.
- Experience working on construction sites is an asset.
- Familiarity conducting environmental monitoring programs and an understanding of environmental management plans and environmental protection plans is an asset.
- Experience operating in a dynamic consulting environment is an asset.
- A current Driver’s License.