Hatfield Consultants is seeking a Senior Hydrogeologist to become part of our growing team and provide field and technical support for the design and implementation of hydrology, hydrogeology, and water resource management components of Hatfield’s energy, oil and gas, mining, and infrastructure projects in Alberta and British Columbia.
This position is full time permanent and would be predominantly office based, although occasional fieldwork will be required to train/mentor junior staff and/or relieve other team members on long field programs. The position is based out of our Calgary office. Start date is negotiable.
- Lead the development of proposals for hydrogeologic programs and business development efforts.
- Design, participate in and/or manage hydrogeologic investigation and monitoring programs.
- Schedule and track project progress, budgets and the completion of deliverables.
- Compile, manage and interpret hydrogeologic, water use, water quality, and other environmental data.
- Review and/or write reports for submission to regulatory agencies or clients.
- Interact with a multidisciplinary team to assess potential project-related and/or climate change-related impacts on water resources and environmental values. This may include supporting the coordination, implementation and/or assessment of results of other water resource (e.g., hydrometric, surface water quality, climate, aquatic, fish) monitoring programs.
- Mentor junior staff to develop their technical, managerial and professional skills.
Education and Experience:
Minimum requirements for this position include:
- B.Sc. or M.Sc. (preferred) in geology, environmental sciences or engineering with a combination of academic training (e.g., thesis, coursework) and eight years of project experience in hydrogeology.
- Currently registered, or eligible for professional registration with APEGA.
- Experience working on mining, oil and gas and infrastructure projects.
- Experience supervising/undertaking drilling programs, overburden and bedrock logging (e.g. logging of soil and bedrock soil cuttings and core logging), well/vibrating wire piezometer (VWP) installation, hydrogeologic testing (e.g., slug, packer, pump tests) and groundwater sampling, including at remote locations – sometimes under adverse weather conditions – and occasional overtime.
- Legally able to work in Alberta and British Columbia and a valid Canadian driver’s license.
- Fluent verbal communication and ability to write concise technical reports.
Prior experience with the following is considered an asset for this position:
- Vadose zone hydrogeology and/or groundwater / water quality modelling.
- History of progressively responsible positions in geological or hydrogeological programs.
- Surface water and sediment sampling.
- Hydrometric / climate station installation, data logger programming, surveying and streamflow measurement.
- Data handling and analysis. Background in R statistics, coding, GIS, and/or hydraulic/hydrogeologic modelling would be highly desirable.
- Experience in data compilation and analysis, including use of software tools such as Aquarius, EQuIS or similar software for loading, editing, reporting and visualization of sample data.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and CV describing your experience and salary expectations in confidence through the online form or email: email@example.com (no phone calls please). Please indicate “Senior Hydrogeologist – Calgary” in your subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.