Hatfield is an innovative, purpose-driven company that designs and develops remote sensing environmental monitoring and assessment solutions. Building on decades of scientific experience with optical and radar data, we apply cutting-edge approaches to acquire, manage, and analyze data to deliver strategic information to our clients in North America and around the world. The Geospatial Application Developer joins a team of information system and remote sensing specialists to provide technical expertise for the design and implementation of geospatial applications and systems.
Our offices are following Public Health guidance regarding COVID-19 mitigation measures. In the future, the position will benefit from our flexible policy allowing working from home while providing access to our modern and welcoming office spaces in exceptional locations in North Vancouver, New Westminster, or Calgary.
Travel opportunities may arise to support projects throughout Canada and internationally. The Geospatial Application Developer reports directly to the Director of our Environmental Information Systems Group.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work together with software developers and technical/discipline experts to build out GEOAnalytics Canada (www.geoanalytics.ca)
- Develop, test, and deploy cloud native web applications
- Develop custom, scalable workflows for: processing satellite data (optical, radar and lidar), including calibration, image compositing, processing and integrating remote sensing data with other data sources, and extracting information including change detection, segmentation, and image classification using machine learning (e.g. machine learning and deep learning) algorithms.
- Plan and implement validation of processing and classification systems and workflows.
- Provide validation and quality reviews of algorithms and systems related to remote sensing data management and analytics
- Support identifying and developing new business opportunities in Canada and internationally.
- Support writing of technical proposals and reports, including collaborating with partner organizations when required.
- Other related duties as needed
- Bachelors degree or higher in computing science, remote sensing applications or a related field
- Experience with writing web applications in Python (e.g. Flask, FastAPI, Django, etc.)
- Experience with version control software (Git)
- A minimum of 2 years relevant professional experience in the geospatial domain.
- Fundamental understanding of remote sensing principles, tools and services covering the whole data acquisitions/analysis chain.
- Demonstrated experience with a wide variety of remote sensing data sets (e.g. LiDAR, Sentinel-2, Landsat, and SAR).
- Ability to communicate regularly, professionally, and clearly at general, technical and management levels to inform team members, science teams and the science user community.
- Expert-level knowledge of Python for image processing and analysis (e.g. gdal, rasterio, geopandas, numpy, seaborn/matplotlib).
- Experience and demonstrated experience using Linux systems and Docker.
- Knowledge of GIS and spatial analysis techniques.
- Ability to write clear and concise reports and to communicate effectively in written and spoken English
Additional Skills and Experience Considered a Strong Asset:
- Knowledge of big data, cloud computing systems (e.g. Kubernetes, Serverless)
- Knowledge of advanced Python libraries for big geospatial data processing (e.g. Dask, Xarray, Futures).
- Experience with deploying infrastructure through code with Terraform
- Knowledge of Deep Learning and Machine Learning technologies and techniques (e.g. scikit-learn and Keras frameworks).
- Ability to work with tight deadlines while retaining flexibility and a sense for priorities.
- Used or built CI/CD pipelines (Jenkins, GitLab, etc.)
- Experience with various cloud vendors (AWS, Azure, Google Cloud, etc)
- Front end (UI/UX) experience
To apply, please submit a cover letter and CV describing your experience and salary expectations in confidence through the online form or email: email@example.com (no phone calls please). Please indicate “Geospatial Application Developer” in your subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.