Hatfield is an innovative, purpose-driven company that designs and develops environmental monitoring and assessment solutions. Hatfield Consultants is seeking a Software Developer for our growing Environmental Data Analytics team.
As a Software Developer for our Environmental Data Analytics Team, you will provide system design, integration and implementation services on a wide variety of environmental management and monitoring projects. Many of these projects involve integration and further development of EnviroData (www.envirodata.io), Hatfield’s Software-as-a-Service Environmental Data Management and Analytics platform.
The ideal candidate would have expertise in both software development and environmental sciences. Key activities will include software design, development and support activities, including writing technical specifications, liaising with system users, writing application code, conducting QA activities and deploying applications.
Travel opportunities may arise to support projects throughout Canada and internationally. The Software Developer reports directly to the Director of our Digital Solutions Group.
Location: North Vancouver, BC or New Westminster, BC or Calgary, AB
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Take new software products and features from concept to deployment. This includes specification writing, end-user liaison, end-to-end development (from the database all the way to the browser), conducting QA activities and deploying applications.
- Assist with maintaining production and development server infrastructure.
- Writing and maintaining technical documentation.
- Contribute to the capacity development activities of the Environmental Data Analytics Team.
- Maintain strong quality metrics
- Support identifying and developing new business opportunities in Canada and internationally.
- Support writing of technical proposals and reports, including collaborating with partner organizations when required.
- Other related duties as needed
- Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent experience.
- Experience analysing environmental datasets.
- A minimum of 2 years relevant professional experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Knowledge and experience developing applications with C#, Python, NodeJS, SQL and NoSQL.
- Knowledge and experience developing for Linux systems and Docker.
- Ability to communicate regularly, professionally, and clearly at general, technical and management levels to inform team members, science teams and the science user community.
- Ability to write clear and concise reports and to communicate effectively in written and spoken English.
Additional Skills and Experience Considered a Strong Asset:
- Experience with cloud technologies, especially Kubernetes, Terraform, and Serverless.
- Prototyping and user experience design experience, including developing front-end UIs using NodeJS/VueJS.
- Knowledge of Service Oriented Architectures and Event Sourcing.
- Experience implementing reproducible data science systems.
- Project management experience.
- Ability to work with tight deadlines while retaining flexibility and a sense for priorities.
Reply in confidence with a cover letter and resume describing your experience through the online form or email at firstname.lastname@example.org (no phone calls please). Please include “Software Developer” in your email subject line. Salary expectations are also appreciated and may be included in your cover letter. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.