Hatfield Consultants is seeking a Junior Aquatic Specialist to become part of our dynamic Environmental Monitoring and Assessment team. The ideal candidate will provide technical support and assistance on the environmental permitting, assessment, and monitoring of industrial projects in British Columbia, Alberta, and northern Canada. Duties will consist of organizing and implementing environmental assessment and monitoring programs, and ensuring project activities comply with local, provincial, and federal environmental regulations.
Location: North Vancouver or New Westminster, BC. This is a full-time permanent position.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist with the coordination of aquatic baseline assessments, operational and compliance monitoring programs, aquatic impact assessments, and habitat offsetting and restoration initiatives, including data collection, analysis, and reporting.
- Participate in field programs focused on environmental monitoring and assessment of aquatic habitats.
- Provide directed assistance on proposal development and project scheduling activities.
- Compile, manage, and interpret data, and draft sections of technical reports.
- Demonstrated technical competency and knowledge of freshwater ecology.
- Motivated self-starter with a positive attitude and an ability to think independently and strategically.
- Ability and interest to undertake and lead field programs, often in remote locations.
- Strong research and analytical skills (data collection, compilation, and analysis).
- Excellent verbal and written communication.
- Desire to take on greater responsibility and authority with increasing experience.
- Strong commitment to Health and Safety.
Education and Experience:
- Minimum undergraduate degree in a relevant environmental discipline (fisheries, aquatic ecology, environmental science).
- Professional accreditation, or eligibility for registration.
- One to three years of progressive work experience, preferably in a professional consulting context.
- General knowledge of provincial and federal environmental legislation and the British Columbia and Canada environmental assessment processes.
- Appropriate qualifications for work in British Columbia and Alberta, and a valid Canadian driver’s license.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume describing your experience and salary expectations through the online form or email: email@example.com (no phone calls please). Please indicate “Jr Aquatic Specialist” in your subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.