At Hatfield, our mission is to provide innovative, science-based solutions that address the environmental and natural resource management needs of our clients. We work collaboratively and respectfully with clients and partner organizations, and support the professional goals and development of our employees.
The Remote Sensing Analyst joins a diverse, dedicated team of remote sensing, geomatics, and information system specialists to provide technical expertise for the design, development and validation of algorithms, tools and solutions related to the exploitation of remote sensing data. Working with our GEO Analytics Canada (http://www.geoanalytics.ca/) cloud native platform for Big Data computing, you will be able to advance satellite EO data analytics leveraging machine learning and time-series analysis under the direction of senior remote sensing scientists.
Travel opportunities may arise to support projects throughout Canada and internationally. The Remote Sensing Analyst reports to the Geomatics Manager and Geomatics Director.
The position will benefit from our flexible policy allowing working from home while providing access to our modern and welcoming office spaces in North Vancouver, New Westminster, or Calgary.
- Develop workflows to process and fuse large remote sensing datasets (e.g. Lidar, optical, and radar sensors).
- Design, test, and implement custom algorithms to extract insights from remote sensing data using machine learning (shallow and deep learning).
- Contribute to technical proposals, presentations, and reports.
- Work on multidisciplinary teams and projects, and collaborate with Hatfield’s other disciplines (e.g., hydrologist, hydrogeologists, aquatic biologists and other environmental specialists).
- Other related duties as needed.
Education and/or Experience:
- M.Sc. degree or post-graduate qualification in Computer Science, Forestry, Math, Engineering, Geography, GIS or equivalent.
- A minimum of two years relevant professional experience developing remote sensing solution (willing to consider differing combinations of education/experience).
- Fundamental understanding and demonstrable knowledge of remote sensing, and related earth science applications.
- Fundamental understanding of GIS and experience with either QGIS or ArcMap
- Experience in automating image processing and analysis using Python (e.g. gdal, rasterio, pandas/geopandas, numpy).
- Experience with optical remote sensing datasets (e.g. Sentinel-2, Landsat, Sentinel-1)
- Demonstrable experience in machine learning (e.g. Random Forest, Support Vector Machines).
- Experienced in technical report writing.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including presentation skills.
- Self-starter with an ability to multi-task.
- Experience with a wide variety of remote sensing data sets (e.g. LiDAR, Radar, hyperspectral)
- Knowledge of advanced libraries for big data processing in Python (e.g. Dask, Xarray)
- Experience with version control software (e.g., Git, SVN)
- Experience working with Google Earth Engine and algorithms such as CCDC or LandTrendr
- Knowledge of Linux systems and Docker
- Experience with deep learning Python frameworks e.g. Keras or Pytorch
- Knowledge of cloud computing frameworks e.g. Kubernetes, Kubeflow
- Experience operating in a dynamic consulting environment that requires flexibility and teamwork; and an ability/interest to work in the field, occasionally in remote locations.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and CV describing your experience and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org (no phone calls please). Please indicate “Remote Sensing Analyst” in your subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.