At Hatfield, our mission is to provide innovative, science-based solutions that address the environmental and natural resource management needs of our clients. We work collaboratively and respectfully with clients and partner organizations, and support the professional goals and development of our employees.
The Senior Remote Sensing Specialist joins a diverse, dedicated team of remote sensing, geomatics, and information system specialists to provide technical and management expertise for the design and implementation of remote sensing services and products. Working with our GEO Analytics Canada (www.geoanalytics.ca) cloud native platform for Big Data computing, you will be able to advance satellite EO data analytics leveraging machine learning and time series analysis.
Travel opportunities may arise to support projects throughout Canada and internationally. The Senior Remote Sensing Specialist reports to the Geomatics Manager and Geomatics Director.
The position will benefit from our flexible policy allowing working from home while providing access to our modern and welcoming office spaces in North Vancouver, New Westminster, or Calgary.
- Design, manage, and implement remote sensing and geomatics related project and services.
- Apply remote sensing principles and innovative methods to analyze data and solve problems including automating data analysis.
- Assess, interpret, and synthesize information and serve as lead author of technical reports.
- Work on multidisciplinary teams and projects, and collaborate with Hatfield’s other disciplines (e.g., hydrologist, hydrogeologists, aquatic biologists and other environmental specialists).
- Manage projects and supervise/mentor junior staff on project teams.
- Support and/or lead proposals and business development efforts.
Education and/or Experience:
- Ph.D. or M.Sc. in Computer Science, Math, Forestry, Engineering, Geography, GIS or equivalent.
- A minimum of six years relevant professional experience developing remote sensing solutions (willing to consider differing combinations of education/experience).
- Fundamental understanding and demonstrable knowledge of remote sensing, and related earth science applications.
- Fundamental understanding of GIS and experience with either QGIS or ArcMap
- Experience in automating image processing and analysis using Python (e.g. gdal, rasterio, pandas/geopandas, numpy).
- Experience with a wide variety of remote sensing data sets (e.g. LiDAR, Sentinel-2, Landsat, and SAR).
- Demonstrable experience in machine learning (e.g. Random Forest, Support Vector Machines).
- Experienced in managing small to medium sized technical projects.
- Experienced in technical report and proposal writing.
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and the ability to lead/mentor new and existing staff.
- Experience operating in a dynamic consulting environment that requires flexibility and teamwork; and an ability/interest to work in the field, occasionally in remote locations.
- Knowledge of advanced libraries for big data processing in Python (e.g. Dask, Xarray)
- Experience with version control software (e.g., Git, SVN)
- Experience working with Google Earth Engine and algorithms such as CCDC or LandTrendr
- Knowledge of Linux systems and Docker
- Experience with deep learning Python frameworks e.g. Keras or Pytorch
- Knowledge of cloud computing frameworks e.g. Kubernetes, Kubeflow
- Experience working on CSA and/or ESA funded projects.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and CV describing your experience and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org (no phone calls please). Please indicate “Senior Remote Sensing Analyst” in your subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.