Hatfield Consultants is seeking a Water Resources Technician to become part of our dynamic Water Resources Group in Fort McMurray, Alberta. The ideal candidate will provide field and technical support for the design and implementation of water resources management, hydrogeology, and hydrology, components of Hatfield’s oil and gas, mining, and infrastructure projects. Duties will consist of carrying out field work on a variety of hydrogeological, hydrological, water quality, and climate field programs, entering and analyzing data, assisting with the writing of reports, and assisting in other environmental projects as assigned.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Compliance with Hatfield’s Health and Safety Management Plan, the law, and client health and safety protocols.
- Interact with a multidisciplinary team to assess potential project-related and/or climate change related impacts on water resources and environmental values. This may include providing support for a variety of water resource (e.g., hydrogeological, hydrometric, water quality, climate) monitoring programs.
- Prepare, participate in and/or lead water resources field investigation and monitoring programs.
- Ensure equipment is maintained and calibrated to meet operational and field requirements.
- Support on-going data management and reporting functions.
- Ability to work in teams of technicians with varying levels of experience with a positive attitude.
- Ability and interest to undertake extensive fieldwork, in a range of weather conditions, including working in remote locations and on programs that may require camp stays.
- Ability to work in a dynamic consulting environment that requires flexibility and the willingness to work overtime in support of field programs.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written – technical or scientific writing) including an ability to communicate professionally with clients.
Education and/or Experience:
- B.Sc. or technical diploma in sciences or engineering with some prior formal training (e.g., coursework) in hydrogeology and/or hydrology.
- Appropriate qualifications for work in and Alberta and British Columbia, and a valid Canadian driver’s license.
- The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience related to groundwater monitoring, hydrometric, climate, and/or surface water and groundwater sampling.
- Experience with the operation of environmental monitoring systems such as dataloggers is an asset.
- Proven communication skills (verbal and written – including technical or scientific writing).
- Familiarity conducting environmental monitoring programs and an understanding of environmental management plans and environmental protection plans is an asset.
- Experience operating in a dynamic consulting environment is an asset.
- Ability and interest to work extensively in the field, occasionally in remote locations.
- Other experience that would be an asset includes: construction environmental monitoring; soil, sediment, surface and groundwater quality sampling; and, environmental effects monitoring and reporting.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and CV describing your experience and salary expectations in confidence through the online form or email: firstname.lastname@example.org (no phone calls please). Please indicate “Water Resource Technician – Fort McMurray” in your subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.