Senior Permitting Specialist
North Vancouver/New Westminster or Remote within British Columbia
Hatfield has been operating in the environmental consulting space since 1974. We are an employee-owned Canadian company and recognized as one of BC’s Top Employers and Canada’s Top Small and Medium Employers. Our work culture focuses on scientific excellence, professional development, and providing flexible work arrangements including hybrid options and earned Fridays off. In addition, we have a flat organizational structure, and a friendly, accessible, and down-to-earth management team that truly cares about employee career progression.
We are seeking a permanent, full-time Senior Permitting Specialist to join our Water Resource Group. Ideally this position will be based in either of our Vancouver offices, however we are also open to this person being fully remote within BC.
The successful candidate will have a strong understanding of regulatory requirements, guidance, and permitting processes under BC mining, water and environmental legislation (e.g., Mines Act, Environmental Management Act). The candidate will use their experience and knowledge to help our clients identify and meet provincial requirements for their mining and water-related projects.
- Provide advice on local, provincial, and federal environmental requirements (e.g., regulation, policy, guidelines, standards).
- Provide recommendations with regard to permitting requirements, processes and approaches.
- Lead, coordinate, and integrate information from, multidisciplinary technical teams.
- Review materials for adequacy with respect to regulatory submissions related to permitting.
- Support meetings/presentations with/to clients and regulators/interest groups.
- Author, compile and integrate content for reports and regulatory documents, and provide other support as needed for application submission.
- Ensure project compliance with schedules and budgets (development and tracking).
- Project financial controls and reporting (e.g., status, accruals, change requests, etc.)
Education and Experience:
- Undergraduate degree or higher in an appropriate field of study and professional registration (or eligibility for a relevant professional designation).
- A minimum of 5 years experience supporting permitting and regulatory compliance of mining and/or water-related projects.
- Experience in project management from proposal writing to administration to closure.
- Experience with multidisciplinary projects, baseline characterization, environmental impact assessment, permitting processes, and monitoring and annual reporting.
- Experience and success in working in large, multi-disciplinary teams.
- Experience operating in a dynamic consulting environment that requires flexibility and teamwork.
Other Desirable Assets/Skills:
- Technical training and/or experience with water or environmental science, mine water management, mitigations and options assessment, and management plan development.
- Experience engaging and working with Indigenous communities and stakeholders.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Analytical skills applicable to study design and statistical analysis or environmental data.
Salary $90k-$115k. Actual salary offered will be commensurate with education, experience and internal parity. We extend an invitation to applicants of all levels to submit their candidacy for this role. Please be advised, that in the course of our assessment of your qualifications, we retain the right to adjust the seniority classification of the position accordingly.
Hatfield is committed to employment equity and workplace diversity. We strive for equity, inclusiveness and diversity, irrespective of race, colour, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or disability.
To apply, please submit your cover letter and CV describing your experience and salary expectations in confidence through the online form or email: firstname.lastname@example.org (no phone calls please). Please indicate “Senior Permitting Specialist” in your subject line.
Due to the volume of applicants, only short-listed candidates will be notified but we will retain your resume for any future openings.